Image Upload

File size must be less than 500kb

File types (jpg, png, gif)






building-fire-echuca

Building Fire Echuca

Building Fire Echuca

Building Fire Echuca

Update:

An electrical fault has caused damage to two businesses along Hare Street.

Echuca CFA Captain Rob Amos said a wire came loose in the fuse box and sparked the fire.

He said the damage is minimal. A small part of the ceiling inside both businesses has been damaged, but Mr Amos said the majority of the damage was to the facade above the roof.

Mr Amos said they were unable to get on the roof initially as the cable was live along a metal roof, causing an electrical hazard.

The CFA pulled the fuse on the power pole to get access to the blaze.

Damage from a previous fire caused firefighters to initially believe the flame was traveling up the ceiling, when it was instead crawling down from the fuse box.

The area has been declared safe.

Power will be returned to neighbouring businesses as soon as possible.

Article continues below

Earlier:

A building has caught fire on Hare Street, Echuca.

Firefighters are on scene, and the street has been blocked off by police.

The fire was in the roof between two businesses, Savoury Bite and Araya Massage.

A high voltage power cable has caught fire, running along multiple businesses in the street.

Firefighters are unable to get in or on the roof because the cable is live.

Residents are advised to avoid the area.

More to come.

The Latest